Kate Ferlic is an experienced litigator practicing in the areas of catastrophic injury and wrongful death, sexual abuse / assault / harassment, equal pay for women, whistleblower lawsuits, and civil rights.
Kate is deeply committed to a client-centered law practice. She is motivated by the belief that the law Is powerful tool for advocacy whether it be obtaining compensation for her client, exposing misconduct, changing corporate practice or enforcing her client’s rights. She believes the law can be transformative in getting justice for individuals and families who have been harmed or wronged by the negligence or misconduct of others. Kate aims to empower her clients to make decisions that maximize a recovery or efficiently resolve disputes.
Kate is known as a tenacious advocate, skilled negotiator and diligent litigator. As a former journalist, she brings investigatory experience and media savvy to her practice. She excels as both a litigator and counselor and genuinely cares about her clients. Her work has resulted in more than $40 million in settlements for her clients.
Because of her experience as a litigator, she also advises a number of New Mexico companies as counsel on issues ranging from civil business disputes, employment matters, insurance coverage and strategies for avoiding or pursuing litigation.
Over fifteen plus years, Kate has a proven track record of stellar results for her clients either through settlement or jury verdict. She devotes significant time to pro bono matters and is active in her community with service on various boards. In her spare time, she loves to spend time with her family, travel, ski, and play tennis.
- University of New Mexico School of Law, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- J.D. - 2006
- Honors: Faculty Award recognizing outstanding contributions to the community; Award for Excellence in International and Comparative Law
- Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
- B.A. - 1999
- Board President, New Mexico Women.Org
- Vice-chair of the Board, Rio Grande School
- Governor-appointed Member, New Mexico Commission on the Status of Women
- Hearing Committee Member, New Mexico Disciplinary Board
- Board of Directors, New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association
- Task Force Member, Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion Program, City of Santa Fe, 2016 to 2018
- Board of Directors, ACLU, 2004 to 2010
- Special Counsel for Litigation, The Honorable Governor Bill Richardson, 2009 to 2010
- General Counsel, New Mexico Economic Development Department , 2008 to 2009
- Attorney, Legislative Counsel Service, 2006 to 2008
- Catastrophic Injury/Wrongful Death
- Sexual Abuse/Assault/Harassment
- Equal Pay
- Whistleblower/Fraud Against Taxpayers
- Civil Rights
- New Mexico
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- Super Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 100